We know you’ve heard it: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. As the first meal, it refuels your body and prepares it for the rest of the day.
It’s especially important for kids, not only for weight regulation but also to enhance their performance in school. Without breakfast, there’s a 10-12 hour time frame without food, which can lead to irritability and difficulty concentrating. Eating breakfast also increases the chances of an overall healthy diet and studies show kids who eat breakfast are more likely be active.
Even with all of its known benefits, approximately 8 to 12 percent of all school-aged kids skip breakfast. By the time kids enter adolescence, as many as 20 to 30 percent of them have completely given up the morning meal.
Here are some healthy and easy options for breakfast on-the-go:
- Muffins: Homemade muffins can pack in lots of protein without the empty calories and sweetness of sugary cereals or doughnuts. Try making peanut butter and jelly muffins or healthy banana muffins!
- Scrambled eggs with whole grain toast and fresh fruit are another great breakfast option. The protein from the eggs and fiber from the toast and fresh fruit will keep them satisfied until lunchtime!
- Pancakes: Pancakes that are made with whole wheat flour and oats are a great source of whole grains. Add fresh fruit for a healthy start to the day.
- Whole-grain bagel with cream cheese and strawberries is another quick and easy breakfast option for when you’re running out the door.
- Fruit and yogurt parfait: Make your own low-sugar granola ahead of time, then mix it with plain Greek yogurt and fruit for a filling breakfast.
Prepping breakfast ahead of time- even the night before- can save you unnecessary stress in the morning and ensure your kids are getting a nutritious meal to start the day! Even if it’s just a banana and a granola bar, make sure your kids are getting the most important meal of the day, everyday.