As parents, you are probably already aware of the common toxic risks for kids, but are there any that you’re missing? The latest data in 2015 showed that 2.2 million calls were made to the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) for children coming in contact with dangerous substances. Watch out for these hidden toxins, so your child don’t become part of that statistic.

It’s important to keep our prescriptions, cleaning supplies and other potentially poisonous material out of our children’s reach, but what about other everyday household items?

Take a look at some of these toxic hazards that you may be overlooking:

  • Detergent Pods: The AAPCC received 1,500 reports of this specific case so far in 2017. Since detergent pods are light and colorful, a child can easily mistake it for a piece of candy or a toy. Common side effects of consuming detergent pods are vomiting, coughing and scratches in the eyes. The best way to prevent this is to do away with the pods altogether and stick with liquid or powder detergents, at least until your children get older.
  • Essential Oils: Essential oils have gained popularity in the past few years. However, they can be easily overlooked considering they’re natural and derived from plants, but that still doesn’t make it safe to consume. The number of cases relating to essential oil intake doubled between 2011-2015 and about 80 percent of those cases were connected to children. Make sure to store your essential oils with your medications and tell your children that they’re not to be played with.
  • Pet Medications: Pet medication should receive the same amount of caution as human medication. Since it is pet medication, some people overlook appropriate storage when there are little ones in the house. It is a smart idea to keep your pet medication in the same place you keep other hazardous material, up high and out of your children’s reach.
  • Personal Hygiene Products: It’s easy to let these slip from your mind because they are common everyday items. The hygiene products we use day to day contain toxic chemicals that a child is unaware of. Keep them out of your child’s reach, or keep them in a safe place with a secure lid for extra precaution.

If your child ever consumes a toxic chemical, call 911 immediately and your nearest poison control center.
For more information about household products that contain toxic ingredients, take a look at our previous blog.

Advertisements