As parents, we always wish there were more hours in the day to accomplish everything on our To-Do list. Sometimes, it can seem nearly impossible to clean the house, get the children to where they need to go AND find time to work out. Luckily, with these tips you can sneak in a workout during your everyday household chores!
The next time you’re cleaning the house, try these moves to burn some extra calories:
- Squats while doing laundry: Stand up while folding laundry and place the basket on the ground. Every time you reach for a new article of clothing, do a squat to grab it.
- Toe raises while washing dishes: Work your glutes and legs while washing dishes! Keep your stomach tight and slowly rise up from the balls of your feet to the tops of your toes. Repeat until there are no dishes left 🙂
- Walking around the block when taking the garbage out: The next time you need to take the garbage out to the street, extend your walk around the block. Even if you only walk for 10 minutes, that’s still one-third of the recommended amount of exercise you need daily!
- Squeeze in your stomach and oblique muscles as you sweep: This also applies for vacuuming or mopping. This is a great exercise to work your core. Keep your back straight, bring the broom bristles as far away as possible and then pull in.
- Move your furniture each time you plan to vacuum the house: This will help you get those hard-to-reach places and moving heavy furniture counts as weight-lifting!
- Towel twist: If you have towels to fold from the laundry, work your abs with the “towel twist.” Sit with the laundry basket to one side of you and your back straight. Twist at the waist to pick up a towel from the basket and twist back the other way to place it on a folded pile.
- Do lunges with baby in arms: If you have a toddler running around, get in some extra bonding and work your legs at the same time. Carry your little one in your arms while doing lunges, alternating legs.
Even these small changes can make a big difference in your overall fitness and health! What are some sneaky ways you get your workout in?